top of page

Motorhome/Campervan Q&A's

Do I need a special driving licence ?

Not at Caledonia Motorhomes - because of the weight of our vehicles it can be driven on a normal manual car licence. We can insure drivers between the ages of 25 and 75 & who have a minimum of 2 years driving experience. 

Is there a mileage allowance?

There is no mileage allowance.

What is the maximum weight I can tow with the Motorhome?

The maximum weight allowed is 2,000kg with a braked trailer and 750kg unbraked.

Can I leave my car?

Yes, we have free secure parking available for up to 2 cars off street. Please note we do not accept liability for any cars left on site.

Are there any hidden extra costs?

No. We are clear and transparent with all our costs. Gas, toilet rolls & toilet chemical tabs are included in the rental cost and the Motorhome comes equipped with everything we expect you to need, apart from bedding and towels which are chargeable. You just need to top up the diesel before returning. 

When can I collect the Motorhome?

Your Motorhome will be made ready 2pm pick up, or for the time agreed in advance. A member of staff will be available to carry out the Motorhome handover. 

When do I have to return the Motorhome?

We expect you to return the Motorhome by 11amor at a a time agreed in advance. Sorry, but we insist on you being punctual as we want to make sure the vehicle is fully prepared for the next group to enjoy their holiday.

How long should I allow for the handover at the beginning of the holiday?

If its your first time with a Motorhome we would like to spend about an hour with you to run through the fittings and fixtures, so you can feel comfortable, if you need longer that's not a problem.

Can I smoke in the Motorhome?

Sorry, but we operate a strict NO SMOKING policy.

Can you collect me from an airport or railway station?

We can arrange pick up from a local reliable taxi firm from the airport (Aberdeen or Inverness) or any of the following railway stations (Keith, Huntly, Inverurie, Aberdeen, Elgin).

Can I bring pets with me?

Sorry, we have a NO PETS Policy on our vehicles. This is because of the high risk of allergy sufferers being affected.

Why do I have to pay a £650 deposit?

This is the insurance excess during the hire and is fully returnable on completion of your holiday, as long as the Motorhome is returned undamaged, cleaned, bedding removed for washing and with waste water and toilet empty. 

How does the insurance work?

Our Motorhome has comprehensive Motor Insurance for the UK mainland, this is to cover damage to the vehicle or to third parties. 

If there is damage to the vehicle and the accident was your fault, your liability is the first £650, in the case of damage caused due to the third party we will retain the excess until it is agreed it is the other parties fault (unfortunately many people say it wasn't their fault and it turns out to be their responsibility once the facts are checked).

bottom of page